Thursday, November 22, 2018

15 JAN 1945 "The Old Man Brings Comfort" (Post #93)







Charles B. MacDonald shared in Company Commander that around January 15, 1945, Company C and G of the 23rd Infantry Regiment of the 2nd Infantry Division had taken Road Junction 109 about 400 yards southwest of Weismes, Belgium and then had taken Steinbach about 30 minutes south. Charles B. MacDonald met First Lieutenant Marvin H. Prinds the companies' leader as MacDonald’s company was to replace Prinds companies so they could head south of Ondenval. Commander MacDonald did not realize Prinds would be wounded in action on January 17, 1945, during the attack on Ondenval, Belgium, and would die of his wounds the next day, January 18.
First Lieutenant Marvin H. Prinds’ regiment will fight under the most severe climatic conditions. It will spearhead a drive that breaks the determined enemy resistance in the vital Ondenval-Iveldingen Pass to clear the way for armored thrusts into St. Vith, Belgium. Sleet, rain and bitter cold will freeze the men's clothing to their bodies as they struggle through waist-deep snow over rough terrain.

First Lieutenant Marvin H. Prinds was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (Posthumously) for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with the 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2d Infantry Division, in action against enemy forces on 17 January 1945.
(Information obtained from MacDonald’s Company Commander, the Combat History of the Second Infantry Division in World War II 1946, also https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/32479, as well as Find A Grave)
Somewhere in Germany
January 15, 1945

Dear Mother,
     Good news to-day for here it is January 15 and my shoes came. You wanted to know how long they were coming so here it is, December 1 until to-day at noon which seems to me not bad time due to all the trouble we had over here around the middle of December. (Sounds like a seasoned soldier understanding the realities of a war and they have been in the Battle of the Bulge during that time.) I was sure afraid those darn Krauts had them. Gee, all the fellows went wild over them and I could sell them for about any amount I asked. One fellow paid sixty dollars (That's worth $820 today) for a German pistol and said he'd swap even. One officer just about told me to set my price. I put them on and they're a perfect fit. Even my overshoes go over them to a T.
     As I wrote in my last letter and up until three days ago (that is after the bunch I wrote you about or answered) mail took a big drop. When the first lot came in three days ago we had two mail calls in which I hit the jackpot for sixteen, three cards from home and my Sportsman magazine with this paper inside. Next day three letters from home, one from Frank Hall (he was about 70 years old) - a swell letter he wrote, and a small box from Mrs. Wilcox with a nice pair of home knit socks. To-day my shoes and a box from Pauline and family which had been on the road for some time. 
     There was something about Frank's letter and the way he wrote it that seemed to hit the point at this time. True it made me - well not homesick but how I longed for the quiet woods with the trout stream as he wrote about Enchanted and asked "what do you say Old Pal how about four or five days back to the old place when you return that's if you want to." Told me about his pistol having a shiny place on the barrel that was made by my pocket as I carried it and we hiked fifteen miles back in the woods to a stream that always makes a good sportsman want to return. 
     Far from the outside world that place would seem like Heaven to-day. Also wrote how during the middle of December he was awaken several times different nights with me before him and it seemed I needed help, said he couldn't go to sleep until he had prayed for me. In one way it made me feel funny but still I enjoyed it. (Frank Hall was a seventy year old man that had spent time with my uncle fishing etc. as he was growing up and was also a man who knew how to pray for his young friend that was at war. Wow!)
     Everything is going well now and I'm in good health. Seems to be a little warmer tonight and you tell Dad I'm predicting more snow. Ha ha.
     Yes, Mother, we had Turkey for Christmas, even if the Boche got ours, as another Division divided up with us. Up until the last minute I thought we'd eat  K-rations.
     Have about four or five letters from you so will run over them and see what I can answer.
     First of all, I want to remark about the large card you sent. It made me think about the Guarding Angel watching over the child as it crossed over a dangerous stream on a narrow foot bridge.
     Gee, I don't see what the farmer is going to do. If Clint gives up that milk route of 800 quarts it will sure hit quite a few people and that is only one of his runs.
(Anyone remember when milk was delivered?) I'd like to know who figures it all out as you hear about men being out of the army because they aren't fit for service but still they play baseball, football, fight and everything else. Then they take the help from a man running a large farm so that he begins to close up. Sometimes I don't understand the whole thing.
     Guess I didn't write any letters the first part of October.
     Well at last, I know where Ralph and Flavilla's house is and a very good map you made.
     Received the picture of the three bears in the woods of Maine but gee, please leave off one name you call the hill for a good reason which I'll explain later. What do you mean by a couple letters went in town to Ben?
     Yes, the days are starting to grow longer here and I'm sure glad those long nights will soon be shorter. Darkness from 4:30 until after eight is sure long in this kind of life.
     Sister said they all chipped on the box Billings and the others sent. Of the packages you named I haven't received, Eugene, Helen L. and Grammie York yet, but some are still coming in.
     I see by Pauline's letters she's sure on the go, different than at first. I write a note now and then telling her to go, have a good time it's none of my business. (Was his girlfriend when he entered the army but is pleased to see her go I think. Too suffocating for his likeness.)
     Well I guess this ends the news with no more questions to answer so will sign off. Many thanks for the felts, will wear them when the weather gets cold again. Remember me to Dad brother and all.
                                                         Love
                                                           Charles



FROM 1946 15TH FAB YEARBOOK


     

2 comments: