Thursday, November 15, 2018

9 Jan 1945 "German Planes & Snow Trapped" (Post #92)





Somewhere in Germany
January 9, 1945

Dear Mother,
     A few days since last I wrote so just a line to let you know I'm still okay and in good health.
     No mail has come in since sending you that last letter but you may be sure I'm far from caught up on those I had at that time. As you know from my last letter I sure had a bunch from home to run through picking out the questions I intended answering.
     At that time I was trying to guess whether it was going to rain or snow but after squirming about for a couple days it turned to snow and you may be sure for three days and nights we have had some, not only that but to-night it is still coming down. Once to-day it did let up but seems the old saying is still true, "its let up to get a new grip and better start." The snow is pretty deep, quite dry and a strong wind would really make it bad.
     Funny thing happened this morning. I was last on guard duty so Ender (James M. Ender was in his gun section) told me to call him a little early. It had been snowing hard all night and everything was covered in snow. This fellow had a hole with a good top of dirt and a trap door but the door was level with the ground, with snow so deep on top everything looked the same. I called him but no answer so took a long handle shovel and went to work. After probing a little I hit the top and he called who's there but I never heard him. When at last I had the snow all moved away I called again, this time hearing a faint answer then out he came. He told me it seemed I was ten feet above him. When I hit the top, it being so dark inside he wondered what was going on as it didn't seem like morning. Gee, did we have a good laugh. He's new in the gun section but I  think you'll find him in the battery picture that came from Wisconsin. (Camp McCoy)
     Christmas day I saw four Jerry planes shot down. One of our planes got one and came right over us not very high. You may be sure he was right on that Heinie tail, a few quick bursts and down he went. One rat bailed out, as he came down it seemed he'd land in the field beside us but the wind took him over just a little too far.
     The Germans have sent up quite a few planes in the last month. At one time it seemed they didn't have any but we counted twenty three over head all at one time.
     Couple days ago I found a good film which was just the right size so to-day had a few pictures taken which will give you an idea of the snow. (If ever I can get them back.)
     Oh yes, at last those bed rolls have come or maybe I should say sleeping bag for they are not like the one I have at home. These are like a bag, small at the bottom with a zipper that closes them up except a small round hole at the top. The inside bag is made up of blanket material while the outside is a very thin cloth of some kind. The ones they had at Camp McCoy were by far the best as they were lined with down and you could bunk any place even lay down a few Pine boughs and you'd sleep warm. When they were warm the feathers would puff up but you could roll them in such a small bundle. I don't know how these will be in the open.

World War II sleeping bag
     Another thing new we have, a high neck, long sleeve sweater and you have my word they're alright. They aren't very heavy but fitting so close it keeps you a lot warmer.
     I received a nice V-mail letter from Esther Goodwin Smith (put the whole name so you would know) with some scripture reading places to look up from Thanksgiving to Christmas but it was so long coming. She had no date but I could tell it was sent around Thanksgiving. She wrote Edward was ready to sail.
     Since I have been writing this letter there has been four buzz bombs go over. Tell me where they get so many.
     I see by the Stars and Stripes paper that they captured quarter of a million Christmas packages, also six thousand the boys were sending back home. Gee oh gee, maybe my shoes or fruitcake. If one of those damn Boche eat a cake of mine I hope he has the G.I. _____ for the rest of his life.
     When you write to Jones put Cpl. as I sure had a good time when seeing his card it had Pvt. He's no different now than ever as a little thing like that doesn't go to his head.
     Guess I'll have to be saying good night but as I've said before, "don't worry too much." I would say "don't worry" but I know you can't help it at times. Every mother does and you're no different in that point. Don't forget me to Dad & brother.
                                  Love
                                     Charles


Battle of the Bulge Map
Remember you can always make these maps larger.
2nd Infantry Battalion History Book



No comments:

Post a Comment