Sunday, March 18, 2018

May 30, 1944 "Letters I Don't Want to Read" (Post #54)

"8 Days before hitting the beach"




     These next two posts will not be easy to write. It will be the last two letters Uncle Charlie writes in Barry, Wales before his battalion lands on Omaha Beach on June 7th or D-Day+1. I hope, however, to discover God's hand in the midst of a time where nations, groups of people, and families were being shaken by a very powerful force of evil. Will hope shine through very dark hours in our history?  Will people continue to laugh or find humor breaking through the threatening clouds of deep darkness?  I will need to continue reading my uncle's letters to find these answers.

     Though I am not a vet I have heard from vets that were with my uncle and I am reading books, such as, In For A Penny, In For A Pound by Howard Hewer and the book by Charles Glass, The Deserters: A Hidden History of World War II and 30 more. By listening and reading I am beginning to appreciate and gain a better understanding why my uncle never spoke much about the war. The same among many other soldiers with their families and even with their regiment's reunions.  

     I am discovering the battles were physical, emotional, and mentally intense. I, therefore, want to warn Uncle Charlie what he is about to face, but I can't. He will be deeply involved in the European Theater of  Operation in World War II. Let's continue to travel with him even as he enters the terrible battles that he will fight. Battles both within himself as well as what he will see with his eyes and hear with his ears.
    
      We will read the letter dated May 30, 1944, today, and in a later post his last letter from Wales. Let us listen to the words of a son to his mother. One of the thousands of letters that will be written before D-Day by many scared soldiers wondering what lies ahead for them.



England
May 30, 1944
Dear Mother
     Here it is, May 30, and you know what that day is. I have been thinking so much about home and the things that may be going on today back home. I also was thinking how many years I helped Mrs. Thomas put the flags on the soldiers' graves just the Sunday before Memorial Day never dreaming the day was not so far away when I too would be a soldier. I have been feeling swell the last two days and somehow I have a feeling your prayers are very close, yes more than ever before. When I got up early this morning one fellow asked me why I was smiling so early in the morning. I said, "Oh, I don't know." Now, Mom, you keep up your courage and remember "all things are for the best to those who love Him and He knows best."
     Ha! Ha! Mom, I got my teeth about a half an hour before chow tonight and what a time. I put them in and could hardly talk, when it came time for chow I said "here goes." Gee wiz I had teeth, gold wire, bread and what not all mixed up - almost swallowed my teeth, so I just took them out, slipped them in my pocket and finished chow. Going to sleep with them tonight but may have to see the M.O. in the morning for an x-ray, ha ha. I'll let you know how I make out later. I have three lower teeth with about half a mile of wire.
     We sure do have thunderstorms and plenty of rain at times. Some of us fellows watch the sun go down the other night and as it went over the horizon we talked how it was shining in the States and figured out the time back home. As you know we are two hours fast and call it double summer time so the difference in time is six hours. It's light here until eleven thirty on good days. 
     Mom, the boys are nearly all in bed, it's quite dark and hard to see so will say goodnight and go to bed, or instead just turn in, with my false teeth hoping I have them in the morning ha ha. Don't forget Dad and brother with all the others, give my love. A prayer from all will help. Goodnight Mother dear.
                                                          Love
                                                               Charles


***********************************************************************************
     I must admit there was the reality of God working through the prayers of his mother. He also gave me a reason to smile as I read about his new false teeth. I'll definitely need to read the next letter to find out what happens with his false teeth.

Memorial Video
"MEMORIAL DAY"


No comments:

Post a Comment