Tuesday, March 20, 2018

June 1,1944 "Forty-Nine Days"(Post #55)


     
"SIX DAYS TO OMAHA BEACH"
LAST LETTER BEFORE GOING INTO BATTLE

Somewhere in England
June 1, 1944
Dear Mother,
      Wish tonight I could say hello to you, Dad, brother, sisters and all but thousands of miles keep us apart. Still in thought, home with all those so dearly loved seems so close. Your letters are always of great courage and how true it is, we may go through a lot as you wrote in your letter, but God promised not to give us more than we can bear, also to go with us to the end. I may not know just where to find those words but I know they're there and remember how many times you've written them to me in the letters of the pass. I realize it's the Words of promises that help you keep up your courage. Looking to that day when I'll soon be home.
     Yes, your airmail does travel faster as yesterday I received a letter postmarked May 22 and today one for May 24. Still my knife is not here. If anything is ever cut out of a letter it is for a reason, even though one tries never to write anything of military nature. You see it's like this, if you make a mistake so you have to change it the best thing to do is to rewrite it as anything that looks suspicious is cut out. Some fellows try to be wise and use a code so the sensor takes no chances. You see it's for the good of all.
     Say, Mom, I still have my teeth and didn't swallow them but was my mouth sore the next morning. I went to see the M.O. and found the trouble. When they make the mold the dentist cuts his initials somewhere in the plate or gum as mine are lower teeth, then when they make the real set out comes the letter, this has to be buffed off or it will be rough on the gums. How the M.O. laughed when he saw it. He said "no wonder some damn John's initials on there." They feel good now except that wire across the front. In time I feel they'll be a swell fit and good looking job. 
     Mom, I feel the same as you and the rest about Claude so no need to say more. Its just one thing on his mind besides himself (money). I've met many fellows in life and money makes a different fellow in many cases.
     If you ever get ahold of any more of that paper Waneta brought up save it, keep your eye open as I know you will. 
     Am I glad that mess across the street is being cleaned up as the biggest enemy, or one of them to man is rats. Just the other day I was reading about the trouble they were having in some place in the state.
     Mother, I sent Dad a present but didn't realize when I sent it his birthday was so close. Gee, am I glad now. Hope he has it by now. I wrote Pauline a letter and told her I didn't care to have other people know my business before I even know it, also I was writing to about ten or twelve girls at the mill but no harm, as she was doing the same thing, I remember her letting me read two or three sent to her while I was home last summer. Guess she feels I didn't act very warm toward her when I was home but you know how one child in a family is. Now she tries to patch up some things said in the pass. ha ha Mom, I learned a lesson once, I'm different.
     Well, Mom, the people can stop figuring now and I sure am happy because Sis was so young. Glad to hear the change in news, that everything is going smoothly. I sent her a letter a short while back. Give the three (later) my best wishes and things will have changed when I get home. Guess you all will see a change in me, also.
     Have you seen Helen yet as you wrote about going to Westbrook? Say hello and give her my best wishes for always. Remember me to all on Bear Ridge with a cheery Hello! That will be a happy day when I sail on top of the hill, back to the Old State of Maine. As you know I'm still a Yankee Boy.
     Well, Mom dear, as the sun goes down on another day it leaves me in good health and hope you are all well as you wrote me in your last letter. Tell Dad to take care of himself and not overdue. Encourage brother to keep up the good work and someday he'll be ahead with a big farm as I feel that's what he wants. Must close now with lots of love from your Son.
                                                                   Love
                                                                        Charles




     The forward echelon of the 15th moved by rail to board the US Army Transport George Goethals on June 2nd, 1944, in Swansea harbour. The unit material and remainder of personnel were loaded on the (Liberty ship) Charles Sumner. With the 2nd Infantry Division assigned to follow the 1st and 29th Infantry Divisions landings in France, the 9th Combat team (9th Infantry-15th FA Battalion) received the mission of the initial 2nd Division landing. [Colonel Ed Hrdlicka] 



OMAHA BEACH AND NORMANDY

     After Uncle Charlie's June 1, 1944, letter the next letter will not be penned by him until July 19, 1944. Forty-nine days not hearing from your son or brother.  Waiting is the Battle on the Home Front. Forty-nine days of fighting starting on Omaha Beach on 7 June 1944 near St. Laurent-sur-Mer will begin his battles. These battles in those 49 days will be shared more extensively in future posts.

     From Omaha Beach his battalion attacks across the Aure Riveron and on 10 June 1944, the division liberates Trévières. They continue to attack through the Cerisy Forest June 11-19, 1944. Spearheaded by the 9th and 38th Regiments, the division plows through Le Molay and the Foret de Cerisy until it strikes the first definite enemy defense line running west from Berigny through St. Georges d'Elle. In two days, the division rips overland 16 miles but has advanced 10 miles as the crow flies.

     Next is the Battle for St. Germain d'Elle from June 20-July 10, 1944. "In the battle for St. Germain d'Elle, fighting grows extremely severe. Casualty lists mount steadily. One company loses 17 men in one day, 15 the next. From here they go toward Hill 192 July 11-12, 1944.
"Hill 192 is a grassy slope occupied by the enemy. It has to be taken because it is holding up the advance on the town of St. Lo. While involved in the battle for St. Jean des Baisants July 13-25, 1944, Uncle Charlie writes his first letter while on the battlefield.

NORMANDY CAMPAIGN











No comments:

Post a Comment