Friday, March 9, 2018

May 28, 1944 "The Jerry and Angora" (Post #53)

                                                                             
"11 Days until D-Day+1"
England
May 28,1944

Dear Mother,
     Another Sunday, also nearly the end of another month. Just came off K.P. at two o'clock. Worked yesterday afternoon and all today. When I came in had a letter dated May 19 which is pretty good time. Thursday one came dated My 17 which made it only eight days but then you never can tell as it doesn't always come as quick. I'm still looking for a big mail call because we haven't had one for a long time.
     I got a Portland Sunday paper the other day so after reading it I was thinking what I'd do with it. I hated to throw it away without letting someone else reading it and I never see Zip now. As I was standing in chow line I notice Melvin that fellow from Bangor that Mrs. Wilcox knows or should I say his folks. I asked him if he'd like the paper, so after eating he came down to my tent and I gave him the news from Maine. Funny but he doesn't seem to know or place Mrs. Wilcox. We had a nice talk about fishing, hunting, sighting and those good old hills of Maine.
     Gee, Mom, yesterday we had white bread, yes I said white bread. The first I've had since being over here. Gee oh gee, was it good. While on K.P. today I ate clear bread and was it good. I cut fourteen cans full of bread, big as barrels for one meal.
     I received my air mail paper, letter with two stamps and the sport book. I'll sure enjoy the book later when I find time to read. Also the sheet of Daigle Potatoes Farm. No, I need no more socks so don't take your time making them. Didn't you tell Pauline you had a letter? Well that was just an old piece of paper I had at that time, all I could get.
     Glad to hear about Helen and Joe, that everything is going swell and they are happy. You know, Mom, maybe that was just what Joe wanted, a little advice as he is kind of young. Be careful and count ten before you say anything. 
     Know we haven't had a thunderstorm yet but maybe later on. What I see of the country side looks very pretty and green but never get out much. As for the English girls, Mom, don't worry for I just don't seem to have any interest. I just want to return to some of those Yankee Gals. What I want to know is this, why fall in love with some of these girls way over here. I've got other things to think about.
     I'm reading now in one of your letters about ice-cream and almost - well my mouth waters for apple pie and ice-cream. 
     I feel Gene has a good idea about a three car garage as you'd only need it in the end. You can say what you like but for a young fellow he sure has a head most of the time.
     You were saying about two planes falling in the lakes. Well I wasn't with the boys but one morning while taking calisthenics they saw two planes run together head on in mid air.
     If more would do as you wrote me that you were planning to do things would be better off. Just one thing, Mom, please don't worry too much as one can never tell who'll be there. I know you want me to do my part no matter how small or big it may be. I'll do my best. Then when this is over with, I'll return to tell you all about it and once more live those happy days. Keep up your courage, Mother, I feel swell.
     I met that fellow who sent you that short letter you were telling Polly about. He's the same as cousin Ed. I got the card about the rabbit farm but can't show Zip as I never see him. Gee, Mom, what will be next? Raising frogs for their hind legs? Poor Waneta what a swell kid.
     I feel bad for Fred. Hope he feels better, some how to me he never did look very well. Give them all my best wishes. 
     I sent home some odd change today and that nickel was what I had when I left the states. Just before leaving McCoy I found that lucky penny. Those dollars old Mr. Ladd sent me for Christmas.
     Well, Mother, soon must close as the old bugle blows early in the morn. Wish I could write more but no. I will say I know the sounds of Jerry's planes and you never know when you'll be awaken by the howl of the siren but it doesn't bother you as much as you'd think so don't worry. Love to all until that day.
                                                         Love from your Son
                                                              Charles

Jerry-name given to German soldiers. Though there are a variety of thoughts of its origination, it was a slang word in England for a potty or chamber pot commonly called a Jerry. The shape the German Stahlhelm helmet resembled a chamber pot, therefore, Jerry helmet which came a derogatory term for the German soldier. Interestingly, metal helmets were first introduced in World War I by the Germans to stop so many head injuries.  


Rabbit farms- My mother, Waneta, raised Angora rabbits so the 
discussion of the rabbit farms likely dealt with her in the letter as 
her name is mentioned in the same paragraph.
Angora rabbit

BBC BLOG (EXCERPT)
     There was virtually no part of Wales that did not see American troops and the constant children's cry of "Got any gum chum?" was heard on streets in towns as varied as Aberystwyth, Haverfordwest, Abergavenny, Swansea and Cardiff.                                                                                               
      And it was not just chewing gum that the Yanks gave away – the Americans were incredibly generous, wherever they were stationed. As D-Day approached they happily presented the locals with cans of chicken, sides of beef or ham and tins of coffee, giving them out almost to anyone in need. For the people of Wales, who had been suffering from food rationing for several years, they were welcome gifts.                                                                                                                                        
      Barry, then an important port, became a huge hub for American servicemen, with over 40 ships eventually leaving the port to take part in the D-Day landings. They built a camp in the part of the town known as Highlight and used to take children from Cadoxton to picture shows, picking them up in their enormous six-wheeled army lorries. Never mind the cinema – for many of the Welsh children this journey was the highlight of the whole affair.



No comments:

Post a Comment