Sunday, March 4, 2018

May 22, 1944 "Time is Marching Along" (Post #52)

"17 Days to D-Day+1"

England
May 22, 1944

Dear Mother,
     Received yesterday your V-Mail dated April 6 which seems a long time. In it, you mentioned about sending the knife that morning but up to now, I have not got it. Seems funny you do not get more mail from me as it was a long time ago. I wrote all three times telling you I had my pen and now you ask if I have it yet. Oh well, someday the mailman may leave you a whole mailbag full.  To be true Marian does receive her mail quicker and it works the same with hers coming to me.
     Glad to hear you have a new front door with a finish as it was needed. Did you paint or varnish the door? Gee, I don't see why the paint should peel on that end of the house but maybe it was too thick as I thought of it when we began painting you'll remember that was the place we started first. It couldn't have been the paint for that was standard make of good grade.
     I'll give up about Sam and Piarlin, I guess the world or should I say the people don't know just which way they're going. Why is it that people see their mistakes so late? I feel some others are seeing a few things now that Jake's wife is nice but you may have found her a little nervous. Are they still living with their folks? Gosh but those fellows are making good money back home. It would be a good time for those married to save for a home when this is over with as at this time there's nothing to buy even if you have the money. Ask anything you like I'll do my best.
     Mom, I just can't place your green light but by the way you write when the paint came off it sure must have been pretty. I'll say some people have funny ideas. Maybe I would recall if you draw a picture of it. haha [From what Uncle Charlie is saying it sounds his mother had removed paint from some type of light and it was green underneath.]
     I bet I know what Pop did when you scolded him, stuck his thumb in the air and said "look at this." As for the joke, I partly guessed the answer but you tell Dad I think he's going back to his second childhood a little early haha. It's almost time for chow so will say goodbye for now. Just thinking how green and pretty everything is back in Maine at this time of year, almost Memorial Day. With love to all.
                              Your Son Charles




      Uncle Charlie has been in Barry, Wales for about a week. This will be the last place he will be billeted before leaving England (Wales) for Omaha Beach, D-Day+1, June 7, 1944. They are preparing all the vehicles to prepare for the invasion across the English Channel. I will share those preparations later in another post.
     Uncle Charlie has become very capable of not letting anyone know what he is really doing in Wales. Reading books, diaries, and listening to vets these soldiers are not just relaxing waiting for their orders. They are learning hand to hand fighting. How to stay safe when bullets are flying all around them, and preparing their guns and vehicles are a few of their daily activities.
     In the letter, he writes about married people saving to buy homes, people making wise decisions, painting doors, and the color of a lamp his mother has at home. It was just in his last sentence he shares his pull to return to Maine by his description of the beauty of Maine.
     One thing that hit me as I read his letter was the two words "Memorial Day." I began thinking the thousands of new graves Americans would be visiting on Memorial Day for a husband, father, son, nephew, brother, or uncle that gave his all during the battles in World War II. Very sobering. 
     Below are a variety of pictures of Barry, Wales that the author of all these letters may have seen or something similar. These pictures have been recently taken so some have "aged" over the many years.

                                                                                     


Huts for living  ….



...... or other purposes.

















 Brynhill Golf Club in Barry. It was used for a variety of purposes including hundreds of tents for the "home" of the soldiers. 
                                                                                                                                                         

The 19th-century two-story turret structure in Barry, Wales, was originally used as a coastguard watchtower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment