Saturday, December 2, 2017

19 March 1944 "A Letter to His Sister (Post #34)

2nd Infantry Division Patch                                                                       
                                                         15th FAB D.U. Insignia                                      

This letter was written by Uncle Charlie on the same day as (Post 33). The earlier post was written to his mother (my grandmother) while this letter in this post was written to his sister (my aunt). My aunt's married name was Flavilla Billings as she married Ralph Billings.

                                                                                                              Northern Ireland
                                                         March 19, 1944

Dear Sister,
     It sure is time I was sending you a letter. Mom wrote me you hadn't heard from me, but I can't understand it, as I wrote telling you all about the package I received from Christmas. The shaving roll was swell, because you can roll it up small and put it in your pack. As you know I have a leather case but it's too big for a pack and takes up too much room, so I'll save it for my field pack in case we move up. Gee, Sis, it's hard to write the same thing over and over to so many people, so I'll let you get most of the news from Mother as I know she tells you all I write. I sure write all I can to Mom. I'm feeling well in health and hope all is going well with you, Ralph and the children. I have been away for some time, but I'll let you find out from Mom.
     Magna has sent me quite a few letters and she always writes such a nice letter. It always seems good to receive mail. She tells me all about her brother. I'm sending Mom some books and pictures and know Ralph would like to see and read.
     Well, Sis, I guess the children are sure changing a lot. Gee, I miss them a lot. They'll be so different when I return. Tell Beverly to be a good girl and try hard at school. When Uncle Charlie gets home he expects to find David a nice young man and a good friend to all the other boys. Don't forget, David, it's better to have friends than fight all the time. Boys should play together and have a good time. Ask John if he can remember Uncle Charlie. As for little Harriett, I won't know her when this is over. Give all the kidos a big kiss for Uncle with lots of love and I'm sure looking for the day when I'll see them all. As you know, I always get a big kick out of the children. As for Ralph, give him my best wishes and tell him not to work as much as money is worthless without health.
     Don't tell me about that sailor and what he said, as I know all about it. Ha! Ha!
     Glad to hear you and Ralph are enjoying yourselves in church.
     Please don't say anything about your writing, as a letter is a letter and I enjoy them all. Two or three new people from the mill have started writing me. Gee, I have so many letters to answer. I've done a little work today, but being Sunday I hope to catch up with some of this mail. I'm writing Waneta (his oldest sister) next as I have already sent Mom a long letter just before writing to you. Say hello to Ralph and Helen downstairs. One never knows what is ahead, but my courage is good, keeping my chin up and looking forward for that great day. Pray for me, Sis. Best wishes with a lot of love to all from your brother across the sea.
                                            Love,
                                            Charles

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will share with you a little about my uncle's sister, Flavilla.
Flavilla would have been married over 7 years at this time of this letter.
Her four children Uncle Charlie wrote about:
Name       Age last seen               Age time of letter          Age he returns
Beverly     6 years                          6 years, 7 months       8 years, 2 months 
David        4 years, 10 months    5 years, 5 months       7 years                      
John          1 year, 9 months        2 years, 10 months     4 years, 5 months
Harriett    1 year                             1 year, 7 months          3 years, 2 months








No comments:

Post a Comment