Saturday, December 2, 2017

19 March 1944 "Character VS Position" (Post #33)




                                                                    Northern Ireland
                                                               March 19, 1944



Dear Mother and all back home,
     Just a few lines from one who say that home grows sweeter every day even though it's thousands of miles away. (2,875 miles) As I write this letter I'm feeling well and hope all is well at home.
    Well, Mom, here I am back at camp with my own unit. I wrote you I was on detached service from my unit and spending some time at a British camp. I'm sure glad I had the chance to go as I have more reasons than one. I had talked with many boys that had seen action and learned many things that at this time I'm not permitted to write but someday will tell you all. When I got back I had about twenty some old letters and nearly as many newspapers. Gee, I've just finished some work and hope I'll be able to catch up on some of the mail. You may be sure many of the letters were from home. I got my pen and it sure writes good, also received the rest in the box. I'll save it as it will come in handy. ha! ha!
     I haven't sent Pauline (his present difficult girlfriend) a letter in about five or six weeks. In her letters she wrote about having sinus trouble, what next? Now let me run through your letters and see if I can answer a few questions.
     First, Mom, I received a V-mail letter just as you sent it. They had opened it but wrote it couldn't be photographed because writing not kept in the border and to advise my correspondents. 
     Gee, Mom, don't say anything about ice cream with sherbet. I'd be glad to get even a little sherbet with some apple pie.
     Sorry one of my letters didn't sound like me but at times it seems so hard to write with so little to write about. Then when you start wishing you were home or the mail slows up it kind of gets you down. All in all, Mom, I try to be the same boy that left home and make you feel good you have a son in the service doing his part. I try to write you the truth but guess at times any one can read between the lines.
     No, Mom, you didn't guess as your letters are also photographed but in the left hand corner you have no censor stamp. So I don't owe you 24 pence. Oh yes, Mom, how many shillings in 24 pence? 
     As for my socks I meant the brown ones but it's okay if you sent the others but these heavy shoes are too much for light socks. Maybe I can put them under. Yes it was the two brown sweaters without the sleeves I wanted. Thanks for the sport book - I mean thank Dad. 
     Gee, I feel bad about the Mains children as I always felt something would turn up and what good is money without health. I had a letter from Mrs. Mains, must answer sometime.
     I don't care if Waneta (sister) did say that at the corn (factory) as I can't see where some people are getting all the ideas.
     You tell Little Pauline (age 5 years 7 months) Uncle Charlie wants her picture with her own hand writing on the back. Gosh but I miss those kids and they will have changed so much by the time I get home. Wish I could enjoy them while they are small.
     Mom dear, please don't worry. If Eugene (his only brother) should have to go everything will be okay. I feel sure anyone going in now will never come over but they just want to be sure. If I had got into a new outfit I feel I wouldn't be here now. Just because I don't get ahead it's not because I'm always in trouble or raising he--. I know you hear about the other fellows from home doing this and that and wonder why you don't hear the same thing from me. Well, Mom, I wrote you when back in camp (McCoy) and told you everything. When we first got over here some acted different but now they're almost back to the same old place. It's hard to soldier under guys like that but, Mom, I've got the best Sergeant in the world and I mean he's one fellow in a thousand. He treats you like a man and one doesn't mind working for him. I'm just praying for the day when this war will end and once more one can live like a white man. When back home in the mill you'll remember I always said "Use your help as you'd want them to to use you. It's better to have the good will of a person then their ill feelings. In that way you gain far more because they're willing to do when your not around."
     That letter telling me about all the boys, who knows I may run into them some day. I always keep my eyes open. I did meet one fellow who is or may someday call at the house. I just can't find his name but you'll know him as he is a nice fellow.
     Someday I'm going to write Dad a letter and tell him a little about farming over here as you know there's not much I can write him.
     So Eugene got my car license but what an odd color. I intended to write him before and let him license it if he wanted to as I don't believe it will do me any good this year. I do feel it's much safer if he had it insured for his own protection. I know Mr. Thomas will use him right and also it's a good company. Glad he got the tires fixed so he won't have to worry. It's also a big help to the car being inside as the weather sure tolls on them. Use it when you can. Ha ha I may come home with a jeep. Wonder if Helen (former girlfriend)  ever thinks about the places we went in it? (the car)
     The rain has let up a little but it's been quite cold here. The days are much longer now. Saw Zip for a few minutes last night, wanted me to say hello.
     Just looked in one paper and see where a plane crashed in the woods near the lake in which a British Pilot lost his life. 
     Mom, I'm sending home some books and cards for you to keep. I know Ralph (brother-in-law) would like to read them but please tell everyone to be careful. I have run through the books kind of quick and crossed all the pictures I've seen. There may be more but that's a few. The small pamphlet is from the place itself I visited. If I ever send a picture or card of something I haven't seen I'll write on it to let you know.
     Give my love to all but for now must close as it's wishing you all good courage. Good bye Mom from your Son Charles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
     In the paragraph where my uncle was sharing with his mom about treating others as you would want to be treated and explaining to her why his rank might still be the same, he was sharing his "motto" he always lived by in his life. 
     First, he believed one should do their best. In Boy Scouts he became an Eagle Scout. After the war when he joined the Masons he rose to the highest level in the state. He always made sure the Masons under his responsibility marched with precision whenever they were in any form of parade.
     Second, he believed one should be kind and never treat others as if you were better than them.  When he shared about living like a white man again, he was not making a statement of prejudice but that all should be treated the same. This was not always happening in the military in World War II. I will place a short video clip below about this subject.
     Third, he believed you should be advanced in your career or the military by one's character. He had seen some of the fellows around him advancing in rank by willing to walk on others as they climbed the ladder to success. My uncle considered getting success through those means wasn't worth it if you had lost the good will of a person.
     It's because of these values my uncle lived by that all of his 14 nephews and 4 nieces looked up to him with great pride and we all were thankful to have such an uncle of great courage and character. 
     Charles David Knight will receive honors during the war he deserved but he as most veterans of the war never bragged about them even after returning home from the war.


"Treat Each Other the Same"


1943 three pence
1944 one shilling

Maine used the black with yellow letters in 1926 & 1944.
Uncle Charlie states those colors seemed odd.


No comments:

Post a Comment