Wednesday, December 6, 2017

March 26, 1944 "Can of Corn and Countdown" (Post #35)

74 Days
                                                                                                               






Northern Ireland
March 26, 1944

Dear Mother,
     Another Sunday gone by and as I wrote last week on Sunday it was another day of work for me. Started about six this morning and it was almost seven tonight before I finished on K.P. Wouldn't be surprise the way it seems to be going the last few week ends I'll be on something next week end. It is now nine o'clock, hair washed, shaved, changed clothes, cleaned my shoes, so guess I'm ready for Monday morning to start another week. It being the best day and warmest we've had since being here I took a few minutes off duty to take my blankets  and laid out my shelter half, then dumped out the straw and pine needles  in my mattress to air. Guess it will sleep good tonight.
     Gee, Mom, look at this label I came across while working K.P. today. Just a little bit of home way over here.
     No mail for some time now but there's some on the way I know. I always look for yours first then take the rest as it comes. No mail so very little to write about.
     The rains have let up a lot and the days sure do grow longer fast when they start. They say you can read a newspaper in the summer time long after eleven or twelve o'clock at night. 
     I haven't sent those books yet as I'm waiting for some kind of paper to wrap them in. 
     Here is some writing paper I got here and you can see how cheap it is. I don't think it's very good for a pen. This pen of mine sure has a nice point. The worst thing you can do is lend a good pen so I'm keeping my other one in case someone wants to borrow a pen.
     Most of the boys have gone to a picture down in the mess hall. Half the time the old machine breaks down. I went one night and the talking system gave out so the show was called off. When we first got here they had several U.S.O. shows but now they never have any. Two boys in bed and the other one shaving. He just heated a cup full of water to shave and you guess what he's shaving in. I just told him I was writing these words to you. He smiled and said, "That old helmet sure comes in handy." Another fellow has his field jacket close to the fire on a small table about two feet by two feet, three feet tall we made out of some old lumber that came on some ammunition and we keep turning it around for him so it will dry before morning. We also made four three legged stools, not bad.
     Well Mom say hello to Dad and all. I'm well but I must tell the truth and say that sometimes I get pretty lonesome but guess I'm not alone. For now I'll say cheerio with lots of love to all. Good night Mom Dear.
                                                 Your Son Charles


###########################################################
   


                           COUNTDOWN
Whenever you see this on the top right corner of the page and a number below it, the number represents the number of days from the date of the letter when my Uncle Charlie will storm onto Omaha Beach. He and his battalion will fight 73 days straight

No comments:

Post a Comment