Saturday, March 16, 2019

May 30,1945 "The Russian Mix Up" (Post #111)




Somewhere in Czechoslovakia
First U.S. Army                  
Sec. Inf. Div.                 
May 30, 1945           
Dear Mother,
     All seems to be going well with me and hope the same can be said from across the pond. 
     I am now living in a nice house with four other boys from our gun section. The woman here is very nice and it seems she can't do enough for us. She liked to have taken some of my clothes off the other day because she wanted to wash them.
     Oh, oh, I didn't have time the other night to finish this letter as a big thunderstorm came up and put out the electric lights so I'll just start in from where I left off.
     We are having good weather but still get plenty  of rain and when it does rain it seems very cold for this time of year. 
     The other night I was in the city of Pilsen and went to a U.S.O. moving picture. As it was I got in a little late so the lights were out in the show but when they did come on guess who shouted my name (Zip) and you may be sure I went right over as it was only ten feet across the way. What a bull session we had for you remember I hadn't seen him since November and God above only knows a lot had happened since then. He sure told me of some close calls he'd had.  For example, one night a big round hit and blew the whole side out of the barn in which he was sleeping. It seemed good to see him. I went to town with Vendette the fellow from Connecticut. The next night we met again. 
     As I have told you before I have an old German box camera #100 or as the size goes over here 6 x 9 so with the last two pictures on the roll of film you sent me I took some of the Russians. I hope they come out but can't say yet as I don't know how good the camera is. 
     I guess you were some surprised to learn I was in Czechoslovakia, but we were fighting those Kraut and had them on the run so fast they had to slow us down. It was at this time everything was made ready for us to meet the Russians. We had a lead tank with two flags American and Russian, newsmen, cameramen, reporters, motion picture men and the whole set up was ready even the river we'd meet on. One day the forward crew started scouting around to gain contact with the Russians but for some reason missed each other so decided to wait until another day. Now what should happen but the 69th Division went out on combat patrol which never goes over a mile or so and they had three men and one Second Lieutenant which 400,000 yards or between 23 to 25 miles and ran smack into the Russians. It was not to be that way so they had to call reporters, cameramen etc. into that sector for the occasion. Oh well, it's okay but it seems kind of a raw deal. 
     Well there is not much I can tell you about the future but sure to get home. 
     Will close for now. Say hello to all.
                        Love
                           Charles

[One has to remember when this letter is written my uncle along with many other troops has no clear idea what the future held for them. Will they be used in Europe for several months or will they be sent to Japan to fight instead of being allowed to come home first? They know Japan is a real possibility since their time of service in the army is not completed.]

   
BUT

During the first week of June 1945, the division’s personnel were leaving Pilsen and the units began to concentrate in the area of Domažlice and Kdyně, where the headquarters of the division was on 8 June. From 18 June, the division began to move by train and vehicles to the concentration area near Rheims in northern France, where it arrived after 4 long days. It traveled more than 500 miles and was housed in Camp Norfolk. On 5 July, it was transported by train from there to Camp Old Gold near Yvetot, where it was preparing for boarding.



No comments:

Post a Comment