Friday, March 8, 2019

May 19, 1945 "Guarding Five Thousand Krauts" (Post #110)


LET'S GO

Somewhere in Czechoslovakia
First U.S. Army
Sec. Inf. Div.
May 19, 1945

Dear Mother,
     Now that the war here is over I know it must be a great relief to you and also many thousands others back home.
     I'm in good health and the weather is swell. I don't know as the war had anything to do with it but we've had only two rainy nights since the war ended and one of them was last night. The days have been very warm, in fact hot during the middle of the day.
     I received a few clippings of the May snow storm you had and it seems hard to believe.
     I do not know just what will take place next but right now I'm guarding about five thousand Krauts with more coming in each day.
     Guess you'll have no trouble realizing things are in quite a mess over here and people are going this way and that. Many of the people are from force labor from all the conquered countries in Europe. 
     I would like to get home even on furlough but as I have no idea what will be next. I can not say or even make a guess. Maybe I'll send a few lines later on. 
     Many thanks for sending the package but I wish you hadn't sent the sugar as it's hard to get. Maybe I forgot to tell you but we have some captured sugar which is okay except it's a lot coarser than ours.
     It seems Helen and Jake's wife get along good. She always seemed a nice girl and careful of her company. Do they live with his folks?
     I received the card Cliff Thomas wanted you to send me. It was only a few days ago I sent him a letter so if you see him please extend my thanks.
     I didn't receive a letter from Mildred and as she was married I didn't feel like writing.
     Did you get the flowers in time for Mother's Day as I sent Helen [his sister] quite late and had no idea it would be there in time. I told her to get them at Wyers. I wonder if she got the other ones?
     You tell Eugene [his brother] to keep up his courage as things will be different before very long. Clint wouldn't know what to do if he was to leave Eugene.
     Well now I'm sleeping in a pop tent and it sure seems good not to hear the sound of guns.
     About the package I sent and some things in itHeinie rifle chain [some kind of German gun], ammo pouch for waist belt, German mine marker and if you find anymore you don't know about tell me and I'll try to explain.
     I have sent quite a few letters and this makes me just about caught up but you may be sure I was very behind during those big drives. Oh well, that was the best way once we had them on the run, just knock he-- out of them. We sure had them crying Uncle.
     This seems about all for now but will write again soon so until then give my love to all. Hope Dad will be on the gain by now.
                                                        Love
                                                            Charles


More Pictures of Czechoslovakia Liberation










No comments:

Post a Comment