Sunday, March 31, 2019

JULY 12, 1945 "COMING HOME" (Post #113)

Corp. Charles D Knight
Returns home 19 July 1945

From the 12th to the 13th of July 1945, the troops of 2nd Infantry Division started to embark on boats SS Ponticello, General Richardson and SS Marine Panter to travel to ports in the United States. Charles Knight was on the USS General W.P. Richardson that left Harve, France, July 12, 1945 & arrived on 19 July 1945 in Boston, Massachusetts. After a 30 day furlough, the soldiers in August or September 1945, gathered at Camp Swift in Texas and began training for the possible deployment in the Pacific Theater to battle the Imperial Military of Japan , but the surrender of Japan enends the war with Japan. It was at Fort Swift, Charles Knight became a sergeant. 
 
Sgt. Charles David Knight

One more letter from Europe before departure to home.

Somewhere in Czechoslovakia
First U.S. Army
Sec. Inf. Div.
June 12, 1945
Dear Mother and All,
     A few more lines from the Continent of Europe to say all is well and I'm in the best of health. Whenever I write these lines I always wonder how things are across the way in that little place called "Home Sweet Home."
     I do not want you to take this too much at heart but I may not be writing many more letters from over here. If all goes well I may soon be home on furlough - remember I said, "may" . Everything looks good along those lines at this time but as you know anything can happen. I will let you know ahead of time if I can as it would be quite a shock to just come walking in.
     Mail has been a little slow over here but I have about eight letters from home and will run down through them kind of quick to see if there are any questions to be answered. 
     Oh yes, the package with the coffee came this afternoon, it was in good shape. The fighting is over but still the coffee was good as it tastes so much different from the GI coffee we get. I made up a gallon can about an hour ago and some of the guys went wild over it. We get a lot of tea now so guess I'll make this coffee go a long way. Guess what? We make the coffee with - a blow torch and you can brew up a cup full in no time.
     Gee has it been raining to-day and as I write this letter I'm in a truck cab. 
     I've sent home a German rifle and when it comes Dad can clean it up if he wants to, maybe even put it to-gether. One thing I will say, it's one greasy mess as I didn't want it to rust on the way across.

     
Sure hope this letter finds Husky in good health as he had a bad cold when you last wrote. (I believe Husky was his sister's son. Nickname for Joey Jr.)
     Somehow, Mother, it seems to me it was very thoughtful of Helen's Aunt Iona and Grandpa to call up extending their feelings of thanks for your sake that it was over in Europe. I dare say not many persons did that. It showed they were thinking of a Mother's son even though they had none of their own in the service. On the other hand Mr. Ladd did lose a son in the last war. I will always say he thought a lot of me. I must be sure to call and see them if I get home. 
     Gee oh geesome - am I burned up but Harry Ingalls can kiss my avg. Oh well, don't say a word and someday I'll open up like a machine gun on just such people as him or a few other civilians that know so much, that is if I get in the right mood. I've seen plenty of hell on earth and don't attend taking a bunch of sh-- when this thing is over. Hope you understand what I mean. I do want to live a life of peace but why take a back seat. Maybe he was in the third army as his dad said, in the second armored division and not the second infantry division but he didn't know the difference.

Is this the Harry C Ingalls being shared in the letter?
Why was Uncle Charlie angry with an US Army soldier?
----------------------------------------
     
     If Kite Larrivee has 95 points don't you worry he'll get out now; you watch and see. 
     I'm sorry to hear about Peanut Bryant but ---------
     I feel so sorry for Jake and his wife as all thought the world of the baby.
     Gee, Mother, Europe is in a mess and I'm not going to try and tell you about it. Just thank God for one thing; the war is over.
     Pauline wrote me a V-mail letter the 27th of May and I received it the other day. She said, "I hope you have been reading between the lines for the pass 61/2 months and realize you and I could never be happy together. I have nothing against you or your family or otherwise but have given us a lot of thought and can't see no happiness together. I have found so much more in Rod (who's Rod) than I ever had before, age might have something to do with it etc. etc. etc. --- After 6 1/2 months knowing Rod we have found enough in each other to settle down forever. etc. etc. - Wedding at Gorham Church June 17th 7 pm etc. etc. Hate to tell you on paper have waited a month before sending the letter, write if any questions to clear, we owe each other not anything but happiness when we can find it, told Rod all about you etc. etc. Here's wishing you all the happiness in the world forever Most Sincerely Pauline L. Freeman."


Well, Mother, she can still hold her head up when she walks by me and I do the same. I've partly known the score for a long time and kind of let her know it in my letters in a round about way, but she would never come right out and tell me. 
     I'm making a guess and someday I'll let you know. Oh well just a part of life but why in heck didn't she write a personal letter instead of V-mail.
     I have a feeling there is some more news I know and also others know it but aren't saying anything. I can still add one and one to make two. Nothing wrong everything is still okay. (Is my uncle suggesting there is a child involved for the reason of this marriage?)
     Say hello to Dad and Eugene and keep the home fires burning.
                           Lot of Love,
                              Son Charles
----------------------------------------
     If there were any other letters from Europe then they either never were saved or misplaced. This is the last letter I have in the collection. This letter was like riding a roller coaster ride. Feelings of cautious expectations, happiness, devastated what he has seen in the war and also after the peace in Europe, and anger are all shared. I am no psychologist but after over 300 days of fighting and wondering if you would survive another day, seeing horrors beyond one's imagination, you are bound to have a flood of emotions pour out when your mind can actually take time to think about not only the past, and the present, but the future you really might have before you. A future that is full of both joy but also fears, and concerns if one can live any form of a normal life after living in "The Hell of War."
            


Le Harve, France
----------------------------------
Baggage Inspection 07-08-1945
-----------------------
'






No comments:

Post a Comment