Thursday, January 3, 2019

3 March 1945 "Have It Back Under Control" (POST #100)

15th Field Artillery Battalion Yearbook

Somewhere in Germany
First U.S. Army              
Sec. Inf. Div.              
March 3, 1945     
Dear Mother,
     Received a letter from home to-day dated February 21. One came yesterday with the clipping about Warren.
     Still well and hope this letter finds things at home a little better,
     I wrote Dad a letter and at that time it was raining hard but the weather has grown a little colder, seems very much like snow, in fact, it has tried to snow several times today.
     Yesterday, the Red Cross girls (3 girls) came up with coffee and doughnuts.
     To prove V-mail is not so fast your V-letter of February 19 also came to-day.
     As you said, Eugene should find out the ceiling price on his tractor. Cash money he shouldn't pay any extra, but I guess he's lucky to get one the way things are.
     Yes, I guess Warren (a cousin) is seeing plenty. Maybe I'll see him someday. (WARREN 31st Infantry Division ~ Enlistment Date 20 May 1942 ~ Release Date 15 Jan 1946 ~ Staff Sergeant)
     Ordnance (a branch of the armed forces dealing with the supply and storage of weapons, ammunition, and related equipmentput a new sight on my rifle late yesterday afternoon. Took a walk to zero it in. Sure have it back under control again. 
     Glad to here the good news about Eugene. I sent him a letter. 
     Don't worry about keeping my wash in good order. I sleep with it behind my head.
     I sent Grammy a letter as she sent me a Valentine with a short letter written on the back. 
     Not much more to-day, will write more later. Hope Dad is gaining, say hello to brother. Good night.
                 Love Son Charles
















No comments:

Post a Comment