Thursday, December 27, 2018

1 March 1945 "Letter to His Dad for....." (Post #99)




Crossing Roer River
Some Germans were captured


Sometime During the Offensive



Somewhere in Germany

First U.S. Army
Sec. Inf. Div.
March 1, 1945
Hello Dad,
     Here it is the first day of March and what a day. It's raining hard with a strong March wind. I only hope the old saying holds true - come in like a lion go out like a lamb.
     In Mother's last letter I told her about trying to send through a special order and that in a few days I intended sending you a letter.
     Sorry to hear about your accident but feel a little better myself now I know at least part of the truth.
     Don't think I didn't have a good idea what had happen long before I received Mother's letter a few days pass.
     Some day I want you to tell Mother just exactly how it happened so she'll be able to write me all the details.
     Guess I'll have to do as they say in the army "eat your ass out". I know it was only an accident but please be careful.
     Here is what I am coming to. I don't know just how to say it but enclosed you'll find a fifty dollar money order. I feel maybe at this time you could use it. Would have sent more but this is all I had at the time. ($50 of 1945 worth $701.22 in 2018 spending power
     You see I tried to send it by wire, Red Cross or finance but they all take a long time. Money orders may be sent twice a month, after payday and the middle of the month but this one was put through special.
     Not much news as I write most everything to Mother.
     Be careful and take it easy for awhile. Hope you will be feeling better by the time this letter reaches you. So long Dad.
                                              Love
                                                 Son Charles
A few thoughts regarding this letter and the relationship between Uncle Charlie and his father. Frank Eugene Knight (my grandfather and Uncle Charlie's Dad) was actually not Uncle Charlie's birth father. My grandfather married Uncle Charlie's mother (my maternal grandmother) when Charles was 7 months old. Uncle Charlie never met his birth father to my knowledge. Frank Eugene Knight considered Charles as his own. You can see through this letter how close they both were with each other.
My grandfather was a sickly man for many years though he worked as much as possible both at the mill and at home. He died in 1957 at the age of 64. Another reason Uncle Charlie was concerned about his dad's health.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment