Thursday, December 6, 2018

29 Jan 1945 " So You Thought You Knew" (Post #95)

Ten Things You Might Not Know About The Battle Of The Bulge

Uncle Charlie's Letter is Below the Facts

1. REPORTER LARRY NEWMAN COINED THE NAME “BATTLE OF THE BULGE.” Larry Newman was a war correspondent working on behalf of United Press International and the International News Service.

2. HITLER’S ADVISERS THOUGHT IT WAS MISGUIDED. It wasn’t a fool proof strategy. Field Marshall Walther Model didn’t think the Germans had enough troops for the assault. Privately, he said the plan “doesn’t have a damned leg to stand on.”

3. GENERAL PATTON’S INTELLIGENCE OFFICER SAW IT COMING. While it's true that Generals Dwight D. Eisenhower and Omar Bradley later admitted they hadn’t foreseen the scale of Hitler’s massive attack, there was one U.S. intelligence officer who did anticipate the blow: Colonel Oscar W. Koch.

4. BASEBALL TRIVIA WAS SERIOUS BUSINESS AT AMERICAN CHECKPOINTS. English speaking German troops disguised themselves in pilfered Allied uniforms and snuck behind enemy lines—so at checkpoints, U.S Army units would quiz each other with pop culture questions like Who plays center field for the Yankees?” and What’s Mickey Mouse’s girlfriend’s name?”

5. WHEN ASKED TO SURRENDER, BRIGADIER GENERAL ANTHONY MCAULIFFE REPLIED WITH A FOUR-LETTER WORD. Here’s McAuliffe’s actual written response to General Lüttwitz: December 22, 1944 To the German Commander, N U T S! Signed, The American Commander.”

6. COLD-RELATED INJURIES HIT EPIDEMIC LEVELS. Altogether, the U.S. ranks saw more than 64,000 cases of “cold injuries” like trench foot and pneumonia during the brutal European winter of 1944-1945. Thousands of these occurred in the Bulge.

7. KURT VONNEGUT WAS CAPTURED IN IT. As a 22-year-old private with the U.S. 101st infantry division—was captured at the Battle of the Bulge on December 19, 1944, then taken to Dresden, where he was imprisoned at a facility called Slaughterhouse Five.

8. PATTON SENT OUT THE MOST FAMOUS CHRISTMAS CARDS IN MILITARY HISTORY. The general asked Rev. O’Neill to come up with “a prayer for good weather.” The cards went out on December 22. Within 24 hours, the skies had cleared well enough for the Third Army to proceed toward Bastogne.

9. DURING THE BATTLE, THE SOVIETS LAUNCHED A MAJOR ATTACK ON HITLER’S EASTERN FRONT. While the Bulge was shriveling away, the Red Army began its Vistula-Oder Offensive in Eastern Europe. The campaign kicked off on January 12, 1945 and would last through February 2. In it, over 2 million Soviets moved westward, taking cities like Warsaw and Krakow out of the Third Reich’s hands.

10. THE U.S. MILITARY EXPERIMENTED WITH INTEGRATION. Black combat troops weren’t permitted to fight “shoulder to shoulder” with their white counterparts. However, in response to personnel shortages in the Ardennes, General Eisenhower invited black soldiers to volunteer for service on the front lines. More than 2200 soldiers who took him up on the offer were chosen to fight.



January 29, 1945
Dear Mother,
     Received your letter dated January 14 in which you wrote about Dad getting hurt while working under the car. It seems you started out saying it wasn't very bad, then before ending you mentioned you'd had the doctor and Dad was all taped or strapped up as one rib was hurt. You didn't go in detail just how it all happened, but I realize working under a car is a bad place to get hurt. Hope and pray everything will be okay by the time you receive this letter. You tell Dad I don't want him to let it go by without taking care of it. All you have to do is go down to the bank as the money is in your name too. You know where the bank book is and if things don't go just right I want you to take care of it. 
     As far as for me, I'm in good health but here is a joke, I've lost my plate and don't know where it is. It all happened in that fight the middle of December (Heartbreak Crossroads) It's a big joke around here trying to find out if I swallowed them. Guess you can judge for yourself what some of the remarks are. Oh well, if that's all I lost I'm lucky, ha ha.
     In the last few days I've received quite a bit of December mail along with many Christmas cards from those at the mill. Still haven't received three of the packages you had listed in one of your letters, but the main one of all got here with my shoes. Let me tell you those are one of the best pieces of equipment I have. They sure traveled fast December 1 to January 15. Felt one time the Krauts might have them.
     I saw Rick and he's okay. Said he had been writing all the time or that is whenever he could. 
     It sure has been a long time since I last saw Zip. Most of the time he is somewhat behind me. Think I know where he is if I could only get over that way. 
     I have me a new writing box. It's some kind of a Kraut Gasschutzhauben equipment box made of metal with a spring wire clip like you once had to hold store slips. The box is about two inches longer than this paper and three inches wider, a little thicker than the height of an ink bottle and new.
     (Charles new metal box would have carried a gas mask.)
It was a rectangular shape sheet metal box, measuring 10.5 inches x 12 inches x 2 inches. The metal spring catch ring often covered with fabric would keep the gas mask in place.

     The guns are firing so if you see any dirt or water marks on this paper you'll know it blew into the hole through the open door on top.
     Now I guess I'll take a run through your letters and answer the questions.
     First, I just couldn't make myself believe it when I saw Eleanor Woodis' picture (15 years old). I'll feel like Rip Van Winkle when I return. Things will have changed so much. The Old Batch of Little Falls that will be me. ha ha.
     I can hear my Sister Helen talking a mile a minute when she returns from spending the winter in Miami, Florida.
     Pauline wrote about entertaining at Fort Williams, the Islands, Chamber of Commerce and etc. Also told and drew a picture of her new evening gown someone made for her from some material she bought in town. Said evening dresses were sky high and much cheaper to make, that it took such things as this in order to entertain. One night she skipped going to Fort Williams and went to Frye's Hall. Another night it was raining hard so she and her girl friend decided not to go with the YWCA group but met two fellows from the Navy Crash boat that they knew and took in a show. They saw a very funny but still good picture and all enjoyed themselves as the boys hadn't seen a show in three months. Another time the subject turned to the war and combat so she told all she knew on the issue and I guess put my name in quite a bit so after a time the soldiers said, "Oh well, lets you and I forget everything else and have this evening together." Then they had another dance. So you see how it goes. Now you care little about this junk but I'm just telling you a few things to put you wise. As for me I don't care for I've told her to do as she liked. Guess some people at Frye Hall had quite a load on by the way she wrote. (As I have shared, Pauline was Uncle Charlie's girlfriend when he entered the Army. She and my uncle were not getting along because of the letters she wrote to him while he was in Northern Ireland so he did tell her she should go out with friends etc. He says her entertaining these young military men don't bother him, but I hear an uncle who is a young man himself missing the life of having a girlfriend by his side. Maybe he is not completely jealous but he is missing the fun of enjoying have a young lady in his own arms dancing and going to shows. I believe I hear many of readers saying, "You got that right, Peter.")
     Don't know how Helen ever got started on those two nights a week but I've known that for a long time. Listen to this, she wouldn't want her husband to go as she can very plainly see it causes a lot of family trouble. I guess she's in a place where she doesn't know what to do. Some people hate to admit a thing when they see different.
     One thing I must say, "always keep yourself clear as it's not your fault what I do and as for me I'm just letting things ride until this darn war is over with and once more I'll be free. I'll take the blame for anything that might come up."
     Gee, Mother, I forgot when your birthday was but seeing you're ------- oh yes 29 best wishes for your birthday.
     Charles Drummer went with Marian's girl friend and seemed a swell fellow. I saw him once over here.
     Yes the days over here are a little longer and you may be sure I am not sorry. 
     The rat you caught was something like Hitler, when you think you have him he gets away. ha ha.
     The more times you see things work out like the dollar for Boy's Town and the fifty dollars at George's store the more one realizes it pays to do right. Guess Eugene has by this time begun to see that for himself.
(Boys Town: While ministering to the ​homeless 100 years ago on the streets of Omaha, Nebraska, Father Edward Joseph Flanagan developed a lifelong interest in young people and their struggle to grow into responsible, productive members of society.)
     Telling about the mistakes you make in your  letters ha ha. I read them so fast I don't even notice them, not even when you fail to complete spelling, rheumatism, remember.
     I thought that picture of you and the baby was swell.
     I was out of ink for a few days but as luck would have it is here and I have another bottle. How about sending me a can or tube of pilosalve. It will be under eight ounces so you can just ship it along.
     Glad Eugene liked the sweater from me, also the other one from Jeanette (I think). Seems to me one of them has a flash to it. I bet it is pretty but as they say "every man to his own taste."
     Glad to hear the billfold was a nice one as I sure took a chance not even seeing a picture of it. I'm still sore about your roses.
     What in the world came over Dennis? It's no more than right he should, but I can't blame the boys for almost passing out.
     No, Mother, they don't censor mail coming this way, why should they? You are right and tell LeRoy he's full of ---.
     Tell Ralph to look at that card I sent Eugene. Guess this is one on you for you sure got fooled.
     That fifteen dollars a month comes direct from my pay and not from Uncle Sam. I just have it sent home regular so I won't have to be bothered with it. It is just the same as if you didn't have me. Ricker is all you have so you see why it's that way. I'm not doing much.
     Here I am at the end of the last letter and I had quite a few to run through. Guess I'd better close or I'll be paying freight on another letter like Gene's to Claude.
Hope Dad will be well soon. 
                                    Love Son Charles






Stations of the 2nd Infantry Division in 1945

Time and Date of Arrival

National Archives in Cherry Park, Maryland

Station                                Time                        Date

Ovifat, Belgium                   2400                     1 Jan 45

Nidurm, Belgium                1430                    29 Jan 45
      
I want to thank James D Edwards for sharing the

information he has acquired preparing for his book.


No comments:

Post a Comment