Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Nov 7, 1944 "Mom Will Go Christmas Shopping?" (Post #77B)

PART 6

                                                 Somewhere in Germany
                                                                     Nov. 7, 1944

Dear Mother
     I'm sending a money order, ten dollars of which is for your Christmas. After reading Dad's letter you'll see how I feel about it and I want you to do the same as I wrote him. I was intending sending your money to him so that he might buy your gift for me but changed my mind. Now you do as I wrote him and get something you really want. With five dollars of it will you please find something nice for Eugene. I have no suggestion to make but see if you can find something he wants.
     Mom, I don't want to cause you a lot of shopping as Christmas rush is not to your liking but in one of your letters you mentioned getting each kiddo a little gift, so here is some money. I am glad you were planning to do it as I wanted to send the money before. Please try to use each one alike so there will be no hard feelings. I have those two cards you sent but guess I'd rather not send them unless I had more. Buy for who you like in the family. Maybe you could have ten dollars left over for yourself to spend. Whatever is left over is yours. I'll try to send you a little the end of this month for Christmas.
     If any of the children come up Christmas day why don't you have a tree?
     Well, Mother, not much of a letter to-night but wanted to send this money soon as possible. Just finished writing Dad a few lines. May the spirit that surrounded the manger be with you on Christmas Day.
Cold is much better to-night. 
                      Love 
                          Son Charles

     Christmas is definitely on Uncle Charlie's mind. I wonder what feelings are going through him as he writes two letters on the same day to his mom and dad. I could venture some good guesses. He wants them to buy something they really want but never would of dream doing it with their own money. They were very poor when the children were young. They went through the Great Depression and now World War II with certain items being rationed.
     Uncle Charlie is longing to be home. There is no doubt of that. The family is worried about him all the time and the holidays makes it worst.
     Money can't replace any of those feelings on either side of the ocean but Uncle Charlie is trying to make Christmas a little more cheerful.
     It is hard to determine how much money Uncle Charlie has sent home. We know there was ten dollars for her, five dollars for Eugene, thinking there might be ten dollars after spending money for the "kiddos" which would have been at least four nephews and three nieces. Will say two dollars for each of them. We are talking about $40 at least. In today's money that would have been worth over $560.
     Writing about gifts, here is a handkerchief type item from Belgium Uncle Charlie sent to his mother.





No comments:

Post a Comment