Thursday, February 14, 2019

April 28 & 30, 1945 "Closer Home" (Post #106)


THE FALL OF LEIPZIG

15th FAB Yearbook

As a reinforcing battalion for the 38th Field Artillery the 15th displaced early on April 17th to Nempitz, returning to direct support of the 9th Infantry on April 18th for a reduction of further AA positions.

After attacking continuously for almost five days and nights the defenses of Nempitz and Merseburg were overcome and these vital centers captured. The entire battle was to a great extent a violent artillery duel. With the fall of Leipzig several days later, the last real fighting for the battalion was over. After a day of maintenance the battalion loaded infantry again for a move southeast of Leipzig through Borna to Theirbaum and positions in Hohnbach on the Mulde River. Following unsuccessful attempts of our Infantry patrols to contact the Russians, the forward troops moved back to the west bank of the Mulde River. While on an air patrol on April 26th in support of an infantry patrol, Lt. Ferguson brought his liaison aircraft down near a fire fight and evacuated a seriously wounded dough-boy, which probably saved the man’s life.

After contact with the Russians was made by the 69th Division on our left, the battalion began preparations for another motor march.


15th FAB Movements


Somewhere in Germany
First U.S. Army         
Sec. Inf. Div.          
          April 28, 1945 

Dear Mother,
     In the last few days I've received quite a few  letters from home along with a few others. As Scott said "when they come they all come at once". Oh well, I'm always on the lookout as I know they're on the road someplace or should I say - ocean.
     Feeling much better then I did when I last wrote. It sure did take a hold of me for a few days. 
     Glad to hear you had the chance to get two good sheets even if the price was a little high. Seems like everything is high to-day. Oh yes and also pleased about your new coat you wrote something about.
     Everything here is going well, been moving pretty fast in the pass but the news sounds good.
     Spring is really here but it seems hard for the weather to warm up. 
     Sorry to hear about the bad news of President Roosevelt (died April 12, 1945) but we must think of him as a fallen soldier, no matter how much he's needed on the line or in the battle. After his time has come things must and will go on.  
     I'm sure glad Scott is out of the mess but I guess he has seen plenty, maybe a few things he'll never tell. He must have got into some white phosphorous by the way you wrote. (As an incendiary weapon, white phosphorus is self-igniting, burns fiercely and can ignite cloth, skin, fuel, ammunition, and other combustibles. It has the tendency to stick on to things including the skin. Phosphorus burns carry a greater risk of mortality than other forms of burns due to the absorption of phosphorus into the body through the burned area, resulting in liver, heart and kidney damage, and in some cases multiple organ failure. WikipediaI told you once in a letter he'd change his mind and at that time I'd seen already plenty. What did you think when you saw him drive in? Yes, this will sure change a man. Scott was right about me and Zip as in the other. I haven't seen Zip since November as he is behind me most of the time but I did see one fellow who said he was okay.   
     I do not seem to remember Fred Turner and still it seems I've heard his name. I'm sure the black ring Helen had was the one I got her. Maybe she'll use Fred for a break away from the other . She wanted me to write but I haven't found time since last November  or at least I haven't written and that was her last letter. I should thank her for the Christmas package.
     If you need a good pen why don't you get one and remember it doesn't pay to let someone else use it as no two persons write the same, that's the only way to keep a pen writing good.
     By the way, you wrote Helen must have looked good being dressed so neat.   
     Gee, I received a letter from you dated the 20th in just eight days.
     Sure enjoyed reading the town report book but why did I see F.E.K. in there so much. It kind of gave me a little more courage to think things were going so good at times. I have quite a bit more to read. Glad to hear Dad is able to drive the tractor more. 
     Eugene is playing the game safe with his tractor.
    I am enclosing a write up you'll enjoy reading as I had a part in making it come to pass. Here is also a Heinie arm band. 
     This seems about all for now so will close with love to all.
                                              Love
                                                Charles

                                    
Letter to his sister Flavilla
                            
Somewhere in Germany
First U.S. Army
Sec. Inf. Div.
April 30, 1945
Dear Sister and All,
     A few lines in answer to the three or four letters and many cards I've received from you, Ralph and the children. I'm in good health and hope this will find you and the family the same. Spring is here with everything green and many of the trees in full bloom. The weather still holds quite cold most of the time and today it feels like fall with a strong wind blowing and heavy clouds overhead.
     Sorry to hear the sad news of President Roosevelt's death, but we must think of him as a fallen soldier, no matter how much he's needed on the line or in the battle, when his time has come, things must and will go on.
     Things have been moving fast over here, and you may be sure I've been on the go. One thing sure, every move brings me that much closer to sailing home, even if I should have to fight in other lands. (He is relating to Japan.) The news sounds good in one way. On the other hand, people are coming to realize, from the things being found, of the terrible crimes committed by the Germans.
     Received a nice letter from Rev. Otto Nielsen only a few days ago and will answer it soon.
     Glad to hear Beverly is doing so well in school and I sure enjoyed the school paper you sent. So David likes to get out and work around the yard? Well, that's the way all young men do. You tell Bill to be careful what he says or Uncle Charlie won't like it when he gets home. Does Harriett still like her fry pans? Ha, ha. Tell the children I miss them a lot.
     I am enclosing a German armband which I feel Ralph will enjoy. I'm going to send the other ones later on as I've already sent mother one, but have no more at this time. Hope I get some more.
     Must close now as it is almost dark and I'm having a hard time to see the finish of this letter. Don't worry.
                                                      Love to All,
                                                                   Charles


  Leipzig April 1945

No comments:

Post a Comment