Wednesday, January 30, 2019

4 April 1945 "They Just Won't Give Up" (Post #104)


To the Weser River



After 5 days of local defense without incident the battalion packed up and rolled on April 5th to Immenhausen where firing positions were organized. Having passed through the armor, the battalion-supported infantry advanced to the Weser river, moving through Holzhausen to the Gahrenberg Forest on April 6th from which enemy artillery and infantry resistance were engaged. On April 7th, the 15th Field Artillery displaced to Vaake, a town on the west bank of the Weser river. (from 15th FAB WWII Yearbook)

Letter to His Sister Flavilla
Somewhere in Germany
First U.S. Army
Sec. Inf. Div.
March 30, 1945
Dear Sister,
     I want to say hello, Ralph and all the children in just a few lines, and let you know I'm in the best of health and still going strong. Received your letter saying Ralph had been sick but by now, no doubt, he is feeling much better.
     Spring is well on the way here and the weather has been good only for a little rain at times. It's still early so the nights are pretty cool but I've lived outside through so much of it I don't mind. Thank God winter and the mud of spring are behind us. This won't last into another winter, I'm sure.
     Why these Krauts don't give up is more than I know. I can't tell you in words, but my God, what a pounding we are giving them. It's hard to believe some of the things you see. 
     Thanks for the picture of Jimmy Larrabee, Jr., but who would believe it? No, I don't know the girl he married. I think Jr. was in a tank outfit and got wounded somewhere in France.
     As for Pauline, oh well, it's a funny world after all. 
     You wrote about the letter I sent the mill and I'll tell you the truth, that's all I hear lately. Someone wrote it even went to the Boston office. All I can say, it was just a letter. 
     Received a package from Helen Ladd and I figure it took about five months. I must write her a few lines and thank her for it but gee, I can't seem to find the time. Guess she stops in at times by the way you wrote.
     So you still listen to " One Man's Family"? Ha, ha! How could I forget that? I've seen you almost twist the button off the radio because you missed part of it.
(One Man's Family was an American radio soap opera, heard from 1932 to 1959. Making it was the longest-running uninterrupted dramatic serial in the history of American radio. The plot-line centered on stockbroker Henry Barbour, his wife Fanny and their five children.)
     Yes, I think I now know the house you own, but wouldn't mind a picture of it someday. 
     You tell Beverly (7 years old) if she'll make those two and threes on her rank card come up higher, Uncle Charlie will send her some paper money from over here for a souvenir. Oh, yes, if David (6 years old) does better I'll do the same for him, but he has a good card now and Uncle Charlie is sure proud of him. Now, Flavilla, don't let me forget as I have so much to think of and I wouldn't want to fail them. Say hello to all the children and give them a kiss for me. 
     Yes, Sis, I wrote one letter since December 3, but why you haven't received it, I can say. (She will get a letter dated Feb. 19, 1945 sometime later.)
     Guess Mother doesn't like to bring down her blankets because you have the children to take care of and it would make so much more work.
     I receive the mill news and enjoy it very much. I heard they were paying back-pay.  
    This seems to be all for now, Sister. Good night "kiddos" from Uncle Charlie.
                                                     Love,
                                                        Charles
Letter to His Mother
Somewhere in Germany
First U.S. Army
Sec. Inf. Div.
April 4, 1945
Dear Mother,
     Not much news I can write about more than you are reading in the papers but you may be sure there's more to it. The news is good but one must remember someone has to pay dear in order to make this good news. 
     As I wrote in my last letter the weather has been with us for some time except for the pasts three days and these days have been raining and cold as the wind seems to never let up blowing.
     I'm still in good health, sorry to hear about  brother Eugene in your letter I received to-day. This is the only letter I received since I last wrote. Oh yes, to-day I did have a package from Colebrook, New Hampshire, and what do you think - a fruitcake, gee, was I some surprised.
     I was planning to send twenty-five dollars toward the garage this month but will make it the first of the month.
     You said the Doctor left some papers to fill out and I can't make out what you meant. I know the sickness Eugene had. Also glad he's doing something for his throat. Now that he has started I hope he'll doctor until his throat is cleared up as it has always bothered him some.
     Don't ask me why the Germans don't give up, but if they keep asking for it we'll keep dishing it out.
     Yes, if I can I'll write Cliff Thomas a letter but most of the time I'm behind letter writing.
     I am enclosing an handkerchief which one of the boys brought back from Paris and wanted to know if I'd buy it, so here it is. 
     I put my felts up for a time during the good weather but now have them on. I'll say that was money well spent.
     Well, Mother, I sure hope brother will be feeling better by the time you receive this letter. Tell him not to worry because he has to lose a few days work.
     Still waiting to hear if Dad received his letter. Glad to know he's feeling better. 
     This seems to be all for now so will say goodnight. 
                                                      Love
                                                       Charles

Paris Handkerchief 12 inches by 12 inches (30.48 cm by 30.48 cm)
Found in the envelope of the April 4, 1945 letter.

Video 4
Battle for the Rhine

No comments:

Post a Comment