Thursday, July 5, 2018

October 27, 1944 "Seeing Beyond the War" (Post #74)


PART 2


D + 106 to V-E: The Story of the 2nd Division
Eward W. Wood
United States Army 1945

The 2nd Infantry waged incessant patrol and artillery warfare with German troops in the deep pine forests and ridges of the Schnee- Eiffel. By day and night reconnaissance patrols roamed the forests seeking out enemy positions. Ambush scouts pounced on unwary Germans. Combat groups jabbed enemy lines and battled enemy patrols in a mine-strewn no-mans-land. At night, German patrols made raids through gaps in the lines that existed in the wide sector. In Schlausenbach, where the 9th Infantry Regiment Command Post was situated, the bell in the steeple of a tiny 17th Century Church was used as an "invasion bell" to warn Headquarters personnel of the approach of infiltrating patrols. On at least one occasion its toll brought men rushing out into the flickering glare of flares to defend the Command Post.



The Diary of Staff Sgt. Hanford Maurice Rice who is in the Charlie Company of the 
First Battalion of the U.S. 9th Infantry Regiment in the 
2nd Infantry Division.


October 18, 1944 (Wednesday) “It rained all day. I got all wet. Our (large fox) hole is pretty good. Good chow. 1st platoon got hit with 88’s (artillery) and rockets (Screaming Meamies).”


October 19, 1944 (Thursday) “Rained all day again. Sgt. Cobb went to First Sergeants School. I got the platoon (leadership) again. The (new 1st) Battalion commanding officer inspected (us).”



October 20, 1944(Friday) “Cut wood. Good chow. General Robertson came around with Col. McKinley. No rain. No mail. I have a cold.”


October 21, 1944 (Saturday) “Fixed on our (large fox) hole all day. Fire smoked us out.”


October 22, 1944 (Sunday) “I took a show in and Sgt. DeHarde rejoined the company. I lent 100 dollars to Duffy to go to Paris.”

October 23, 1944 (Monday) “(German) flying bombs coming over (head). I got a (Stars and Stripes) paper. We have plenty of chow. Got a pack of cigarettes.”

October 24, 1944 (Tuesday) “Got some candy and chewing gum. (We) killed a hog. Buzz bombs are still going over (head).”

October 25, 1944 (Wednesday) “I got a letter from Vicky. We are laying barbed wire and fixing our (large fox) holes. (We put out) more booby traps.”

October 26, 1944 (Thursday) “I got a letter from Hale (one of my older brothers). I wrote Vicky to buy us a place. The mess sergeant from D Company captured two prisoners. Lt. Hammet is going to Paris.”

October 27, 1944 (Friday) “(Our) chaplain was killed by (German) artillery along with a pill roller (medic). Still good chow. No mail.”


Schnee Eiffel Pine Forest
                                                               Somewhere in Germany
                                                                     October 27, 1944

Dear Mother,
     When writing my last letter I told you to be on the lookout for another in a few days so I'd be sure to write so here goes for a few lines.
     Still seem to be holding unto good health and hope this finds everyone at home the same. No doubt Dad will be better now that the colder weather has hit the hills of Maine.
It seems funny back in Normandy you could see no woods at all, the same at Brest. I feel sure you must have read about the "hedgerows of Normandy" {1} with some of the hardest fighting in the world. What would you think of fighting all day to gain five hundred yards or in other words three or four hedgerows. Now things have changed for this country is more open with no hedgerows and the land is rolling. You stand on top of a hill and see small groups of pines {2} from ten acres up. All these trees have been planted years ago, some are large and tall while others are small. It looks kind of pretty seeing these solid patches of green. In some places these pines are beside or even in the middle of hard wood growth such as oak or maple. All these foreign countries keep their forests cleaned up and you never see any brush laying around. They do all the small branches and twigs up in bundles then stack them in a big pile which looks almost like a house.
     People don't work the same as we do in the states. For one example instead of a yoke for a team of oxen {3} they still have two chains hitched to the animal's horns as they did many years ago.
     Jones came up today with the cards [Richard L Jones was a Gunner Corporal for the First Gun Section while my uncle, Charles D Knight was Gunner Corporal for the Second Gun Section in Battery B of the 15th FAB. My grandmother would send postcards to Cpl. Jones at times.] and said "now tell me the truth do you raise potatoes that size back in Maine?" and you should see him laugh. I took a look at the card, never said a word at first then took off my steel lid because I told him it was beginning to pinch and asked him if he could see and read. [Grammie Knight must have sent Cpl. Richard L Jones a postcard with a picture of one of our Maine potatoes.]{4}{5}
     The Krauts sure send over a lot of flying bombs. Couple nights ago it was clear with a very small moon, while on guard I heard one coming very low and did I get a good look at it by night with the flames shooting from the rear. {6}
     Who should crawl into my dug out yesterday morningZip, said he had traveled farther than he'd figured when starting out. Had to go right back as he was alone but heard that I was quite near (or my outfit) and sure wanted to look me up. Told me he had a close call the other day.
     I have seem one of those small newspapers Jean wanted you to send me but never have received one yet. As I remember one could read it without a glass.
     Have you got the radio going yet? I hope so as it will give a little company.
     No, Mother, don't send any underclothes as I can get them. I use gun powder that is left over which makes a hot fire and you can boil water in no time by throwing on a little grain of powder at a time. It burns fast and hot with little smoke. In this way I keep the sweat and dirt washed out so to heck with the grey color. Most of our clothes are brown so they don't show up the grey when you do wash them. I'm looking to the day I can put on one of those nice white shirts you once did up for me. I remember how Helen would always remark what a swell job you did with only old flat irons.
     Gee, I sure have quite a few of your letters here to answer. Guess I'll only finish a part of them this time. I received them all just before and right after I wrote my last letter. No mail yesterday or to-day for me but I'll make a guess they'll be some to-morrow. I know there will be and I'm going to let you know if I'm correct.
     That was thoughtful of Mr. Thomas. I wonder what he was thinking of when seeing my name. Some things burn me up but guess I won't say too much as I've done my part. Guess the way some people look at things the U.S.A. just couldn't go on if one man should die.{7} Gee, we must be in a bad state or predicament when there is no other man capable of taking over the Ship of State.{8} Oh oh guess I'll stop as I wasn't going to say anything.
     Guess Eugene has some push to him as I notice he wants everything done just right the first time. If he makes a few mistakes like your clothes line and you don't have them where you should, well just make the best of it as he'll get them if he said so. Do like I do, hang them on a bush. Now don't you rub it in on Dad but tell him for me to have some little junk pile or an old Model T {9} around the place, now – now I told you not to say too much. The darn thing ran after being froze up all winter down in the field. ha ha
Must close now it's 22:30 hours now and I can hear a little rain on top as it drops from the pines. We had two good nights but the days were a little cold, little cloudy, open and shut. Guess more rain on its way. Don't forget Dad and Brother. Here is a poppy from France.{10}
                                                 Lots of Love
                                                      Charles


                                                                                          

THE NUMBERS BELOW CORRESPOND TO THE 
NUMBERS IN THE LETTER ABOVE












No comments:

Post a Comment