Monday, June 4, 2018

August 1944 "The Battle for Brest" Part 1 (Post #67)

An intense, extremely difficult, and costly battle
to gain control of the seaport in Brest.
The 2nd Infantry Battalion including the 15th FAB
takes a 220 mile trip to capture Brest.

There were many other battalions involved with this battle. 
15th FAB Yearbook

Howitzer

The Diary of  Staff  Sergeant Hanford Maurice Rice
The Germans had some big cannons they used at Brest
August 21, 1944 (Monday): “Still raining. We are holding and moving our positions. Rough weather. (We are) 2 miles from Brest.”
                                                                          
August 22, 1944 (Tuesday): “(Our) patrol went out. Magnes (was) killed, Curran (was) wounded. (Then) I took a patrol out and made it back okay.”

August 23, 1944 (Wednesday): “We went on line and still holding. (Enemy) artillery and mortar fire pretty heavy.”

August 24, 1944 (Thursday): “K rations are sure getting old. (We have had) no hot coffee for days. (Finally) the sun came out.”

August 25, 1944 (Friday): “(We) attacked pill boxes all day. (We had) 20 casualties. 3 of our tanks were knocked out. I took over the platoon.”

August 26, 1944 (Saturday): “I turned in to the Aid Station. I can’t go anymore. (I have had) no sleep for 3 days. I crawled one half of a mile.”

August 27, 1944 (Sunday): “I am still at the Aid Station. I am sleeping and eating. I saw a picture show. My knees are bothering me.”

August 28, 1944 (Monday): “(I am) still at the aid station. Pendergrass was killed. (There are only) 5 men left in the 3rd platoon. (I) saw another (picture) show.”

August 29, 1944 (Tuesday): “My knees are not any better. I saw the dentist. (I am) getting plenty of sleep.”

August 30, 1944 (Wednesday): “I had my tooth x-ray and my knees (also).”

August 31, 1944 (Thursday): “The third platoon got wiped out. I am still in the hospital.”


[ To be continued with words from both Fred Felder author of Foot Soldier and my dear friend Glynn Raby Jr. The letter from my uncle written August 30, 1944, will be written in due time.]

No comments:

Post a Comment