Saturday, May 12, 2018

Aug 5, 1944 "A Beautiful Night Except For....." (Post #64)

Somewhere in France
Aug 5, 1944

     Dear Mother
     No news from home in the past few days. Guess we have the Germans on the run so fast that the mail just doesn't keep up. Oh well when it does come I'll have all the more to read. Seems funny why everyone stopped writing all at once, on the other side guess I owe everyone a letter as I've written only about five or six since landing in France and three of those have been home.
     Well I'm still o.k. and the weather fine just like we have back home. Last night was the prettiest night I've seen since coming over seas, full moon came up a burning red, it was warm and not a breeze. The only thing that made it different from those I've seen before back home was the sound and flash of battle with Jerry planes over head. It was about 1:30 when a burst of tracers went streaking into the air and true to their mark for there was a burst of flame which sent a German JU-88 two motored bomber plunging to the ground in flames, it sure made some fire. Four were killed because the plane was so low they could't jump out. One did try but fell like a jellyfish in an oat field. The others are divided up with a foot here, arm there and all over the place, gee what a mess.
     We sure have been in the front lines for a long time. Most outfits go back to rest camp after a time but in the whole war our combat team has made a record. Anytime those Krauts are ready to give up I've seen all I want but if they want to take it I'll stay in and do my part dishing it out. Mom I just can't see for the life of me what keeps them going. Where in the world do they get all the man power. I know many of them are young as I saw one dead that was about eighteen but still they have been at war for a long time and died by the thousands. Many persons in the States (of America) missed their guess thinking this war would be over long ago.
     Here is the fifty franc note I intended sending once before. It is equal to one dollar and real French money, where as the small five franc note is only invasion money. There is another fifty franc note that's quite a bit larger than this one. Why the money is so different in size I do not know. Back home one billfold will hold all bills but it would sure take a large one here or even in England to keep any of them flat.
     I wrote you in my other letter about sending some home some money, here it is. If you don't need it take it to Westbrook and put it in the bank. My book is upstairs. 
     I haven't seen Zip or heard from him as the last time I saw him was when we left Ireland or just before he got off the boat. I did see a fellow from his outfit about four weeks ago and he said everything was going well. He didn't know Zip very well but knew he was a cook. You see most of the time they are behind us a few miles so I have never have had time to go back.
     Remember me writing about Dan from Massachusetts. He had stomach trouble, guess his dad had the same, and when he hit shore, started to eat hard tack and being a little nervous things went bad. He couldn't keep what little he did eat down and I sure could tell he was losing weight after about three weeks he went back to the hospital or first aid station. I never did hear from him again but think he was sent back to England. Maybe it's all over for him. Wish I could write to him or hear a word but don't know where to send it.
     You wrote Helen said she received a letter from me but I never got an answer. I wonder how her mother is now, she sure has been through a lot.
     Sure hope I get some writing paper soon as I'm getting very very low and may have to write on -- er er toilet paper soon in order to just send a few lines. You'll notice how small I try to write as to save paper.
     To tell you the truth I don't know what day of the week it is and also had to ask the date but things like that are the least of one's worries, it just seems so funny.
     This is about all for now now, will do my best to write soon. Keep up hopes. Remember me to all.
                                          Lots of Love
                                               Son Charles




As I read this letter from my uncle, it appears he is becoming "used" to his surroundings. I am not sure if that is the best way to say it. He shares about the beautiful night sky with the red moon and then adds the only difference from home is the sound of the battle and a JU-88 German plane crashing with body parts strewn all over. 
At the same time one can hear him express the fatigue of being on the front lines with no real breaks like other outfits have received. He doesn't even remember the date or the day of the week it is. His outfit has been on the front lines since June 7th. That adds up to 60 days.
As I am sure for other soldiers, he is wondering how some of his buddies are doing. Like Dan who had to go to the hospital or first aid camp. A variety of thoughts must go through his mind wondering what has happened. That must add stress to a soldier wondering about his buddies.
There are many forms or types of stress a soldier goes through. But in this letter my uncle clearly says he will keep dishing it out as long as the Germans keep fighting. He will not let down his buddies, his family, nor his country. 

 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

For those who want a more in depth knowledge of what the the 2nd Infantry Battalion has been doing around the days and weeks when Uncle Charlie writes this letter, there is some information below.

Combat History of the Second Infantry Division 
in World War II





No comments:

Post a Comment