Saturday, February 10, 2018

May 6, 1944 "The Hills of Maine" (Post #48)


"32 Days"
A special song at the end.
                                                                                                            England
                                                                    May 6, 1944

Dear Mom,
     Received your letter of April 25 yesterday which is pretty good time although one from Pauline (his girlfriend) from May 1st came also yesterday. It was a nice long letter and I read it a couple of times. Everything seems well and I'll say the same for myself.
     That paper I had your box wrapped in has done plenty of traveling, across the water twice to say nothing of the others. The wrapping paper here is just like the writing paper and hard to get so I saved it just to send something home. I thought you might look it all over and notice it to be the same.
     Tell that brother (Eugene) I know all about him and not to forget about the cream puff I wrote about while back in McCoy haha who does he think he is. Ask him if his swimming trunks are still there connected with a pin instead of a button. (Camp McCoy was boot camp in Wisconsin.)
     I didn't know anything about the rabbits but that's just another thing and I wonder what will be next. It would be a good idea to spend a little money around the place as that one place could be fixed up pretty.
     You wrote something about the car once before and I told you I had forgot all about it but Eugene might as well get it licensed as I didn't feel it would do me any good this next year. I was thinking of him getting it in his own name that's why I mentioned the insurance for his own protection. I do remember you writing the plate number but I've forgotten it which makes little difference.
    Gee, the little kiddos (his nieces and nephews) must be changing a lot. I wonder if they'll recognize me when I get back. You know I sure miss them. As for little Jim and what he was thinking you'll never know but many time it's surprising the things that go through their minds.
     It's too bad they don't get that house moved as it would make a big difference in our home. Wouldn't take long if everything was ready as it isn't very big or much of a job.
     You made one mistake in your letter when you said good night from Maine. Remember at the end?
     I haven't seen Zip for a long time. The last time I saw him was on the boat. Ha ha and think of it he owes me some money. Oh well, he's around someplace and if I don't get the money what of it. I would like to see him. I saw Rick today just before coming on guard.
     I had a very nice letter from Helen (a friend) and have already answered it. She told me how she saw you some time ago once seeing Flavilla (his sister). Guess she does a lot of work around home. Poor Dana has had it about as hard as you only the only bread earner was sick which makes a big difference in a home. Not many women could have gone through and done what you have.
     Tonight I'm dreaming of the Hills of Maine turning green and looking for the day I'll be sailing home. Good night to all with a kiss for you.
                   Love, Your Son Charles
**************************************************************************     
     I can only imagine what my uncle was feeling about home in Maine. He was so far away. He didn't know what was in his future. He didn't know at the time it would be another 14 months before he would be sailing back home. And the blood, sweat and battle fatigue he would have to go through in unimaginable. Anyone who was a World War II vet and is reading this post please share with me from your heart what emotions you went through. I don't want to write just about the events my uncle went through. I want to understand his fears, his hopes, his thoughts, his frustrations, everything.
     On the exact same day he wrote the above letter, he also sent a package and a separate letter about this package. It is written below. 



Dearest Mother,
     Just a little present from Ireland. To be sure it's not too much but seems I traveled for miles and miles to find them. I really wanted to get a pure Irish linen tablecloth but a cheap one was eight pounds and no good at that. A good one was about fifteen pounds. You didn't need a coupon for the tablecloths but you did for handkerchiefs but I did get you a box as you can see. The cloths didn't cost much before the Yankees got here but soon after the people got wise, knew the Yanks wanted to send something home so the prices went up sky high. I know this one is not linen but it's a present from me and it came from Ireland. When I got it in Belfast I didn't have on my coat and it started to rain like heck. I got the bundle all wet as the little bit of wrapping paper you get here is so poor. I sure hope you receive this present as I send it with lots of Love.
                                                        Your Son
                                                               Love
                                                                  Charles

NOTE: It appears he had purchased this present before leaving Northern Ireland and has decided to send it now that he is in Wales.


THE VIDEO OF THE SONG WILL POP UP SOON. THEN JUST CLICK

BIG ARROW IN THE CENTER TO PLAY.
     

"I'LL BE SEEING YOU" by Billie Holliday

No comments:

Post a Comment