Monday, February 26, 2018

May 14, 1944 "A BIG SURPRISE FOR HIS DAD" (Post #50B)


     On December 22, 1942, Uncle Charlie leaves his dad and mother in Maine as he enters the US Army to serve in World War II. Except for a short leave in the summer of 1943, he has not seen his parents for one year, four months, and twenty-three days. At the date of this letter, Uncle Charlie is 24 days away from storming Omaha Beach with his battalion and fighting for his country, the Allies, and his own life until VE Day on May 7, 1944.
    I am sure you have noticed how almost all his letters sent home are addressed to his mother and written to her and even the salutation puts the emphasis on his mother. Charles D Knight was not the biological son of the person he called Dad. Frank Eugene Knight adopted him from the day he married Nina Anderson on March 11, 1916. Uncle Charlie was seven months old at the time of the marriage. Frank Knight, known as Dad to Uncle Charlie, treated him as his own son and it was for some time before Uncle Charlie was told the truth of his birth.
     It, therefore, should not surprise us when Uncle Charlie discovers the truth a special bond between his mother and himself develops. I do not even know if he realizes how strong this distinct bond is between Mom and son. These letters clearly show this bond. Also, his desire or willingness to remain single to care for a sick dad to help his mother and also when Uncle Charlie at the age of 42 experiences the death of his 64-year-old father and remains single to care for his widowed mother shows me the deep bond.
     I share the history of my uncle and my grandparents because the letter Uncle Charlie writes to his dad also on Mother's Day is a very special way of showing his dad the love and appreciation and respect he has for Dad. Now to that letter.

***********************************************************************************

England
May 14, 1944

Dear Dad,
     How is this for a big surprise writing directly to you and think of it on Mother's Day. Well, Dad, here's how it is. You see I just wrote Mom a letter at the same time sending her a little present so I figured you should come in some place. I never write you as I tell Mom all the news but it is about time you received a little. With this letter is a present sent with the same wishes and feelings as Mom.  It's not so much it is hers but hope you realize, maybe some time in the future I'll even up the score. Guess this will have to be for Christmas, Father's Day, birthday and any other day that might come in the year as the war makes it impossible to send anything worthwhile. Hope you are feeling good in health as that gives a person lots of courage. Dad, you'll soon be turning to a brick of gold because nearly every letter Mom writes you're worth just a little bit more, haha but on the other hand guess you're pretty lucky too, what do you say?
     I'm going to send you some papers maybe you'll enjoy looking at them.
     Gee, Dad, I sure want to get out of this life. I can't get home too soon. A fellow is sure far from being free in here. Wish I'd been as lucky as some of the fellows from back home. I feel like a damn fool but, oh well it won't be long and we'll all be back - I hope and we'll all start where we left off. I have the promise of a good break in the mill for not leaving, that is if anyone gives a snap for the soldier when he returns. You know yourself lot of them tell what they'll do, but when the day comes the thing which counts most is Money.
     How is farming this year, by Mom's letters it's late starting. I can't remember if you have any berries for this year or not. (Grandpa Knight was known for his strawberries.) A good garden will mean a lot next winter. How in heck will Uncle Sam feed them all? In the first place, the farmer can't get any help. The farmer has always had a hard row. When we first got over here I saw the boys give four or five shillings for a dozen of eggs, about eighty cents to a dollar a dozen - how is that for money. Where I am now they're like gold and it's against the law for anyone to sell them except only through the government. Wish I had some of your eggs here. (Here in the United States there were too many eggs.)
     Hear you've been busy on the house, also working hard outside but be careful not to do too much as it doesn't pay at the end, how well you should know. (Grandpa Knight was a sickly man but he wouldn't give up.)
     Did you get your license? That would be a big help to Eugene. If or when you do get it use the car when you like.
     I've seen quite a lot since I left home but put it all together and I wouldn't exchange Maine for it. I'll tell you more someday. 
     Well, Dad, not much new but I'm always thinking of you. Keep your chin up and don't worry I'll be back. Good night
                            Love
                               Charles
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Uncle Charlie has one more stopping point before going into battle. Find out where that is in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment