Sunday, November 19, 2017

20 Feb 1944 "Never Know When Letters Come" (Post #30)

   
   I feel I am in my own time warp. After reading at least two dozen letters my Uncle Charlie wrote to his mother in chronological order, I sense as if I am in two time periods. One being the present reality but the other being in 1944. Today, as I read and then wrote the post of the letter my uncle wrote on February 20, 1944, I felt as if I am right there with him and my grandmother. I have to sometimes remind myself I am writing this post on November 14, 2017, and it isn't really February 20, 1944. I guess one could say I am getting into the mind of my uncle and the time period he was writing. I am getting to know what my grandmother must have felt as she read each letter but even more so how my uncle was feeling as he was writing in a small hut with one light, with a wood or coal fire stove, and still having to wear his winter jacket because the hut was still cold. Each night he would climb into a "bed" with a thin mattress only a few inches off the ground thinking what tomorrow would bring, when would he get home or would he ever see home again?
     Maybe this is how an author feels writing historical novels. A good author would have extensively studied the time period he/she would be placing their characters into in order for the reader to feel how the characters dressed, behaved, spoke, thought, feared etc. By the time the author and reader has completed the book they know another piece of history. That is what is happening to me as I am writing my uncle's letters. I trust you are getting into his mind as well and learning about a period of history that altered our world to this very day.


Northern Ireland
Feb 20, 1944
 Sunday
Dear Mother,
     Back to the pen for a few lines home. You may be sure when I am not at the pen my thoughts still travel home many times. The greatest day in my life will be when I return to walking those steps of home. I always realize thats one place that waits for me.
     I got a letter from you last night which was written Feb 2 but please try not to worry. That was the letter in which you wrote about calling up Uncle Dave. I sent you a letter and told you what E.T.O. stood for but guess you hadn't received it. Did Uncle send you the answer. Just one thing, Mom, please don't talk what other people tell you unless they really know what they're talking about. As for not receiving any mail from me, it is so long a time I have no answer unless it's held up on this end. If you don't get some mail from me I'll find the reason why or try too. I've heard some mail is held up for several days before it leaves here but it shouldn't be. Mom, you know I write at about once a week if not more and I write to you first even if no one else gets a letter. Please keep your chin up, Mom, every thing is okay. I know that every Mother will worry some.
     Glad to hear Dad's face is better. Guess it's hard to tell how he feels or thinking about as he has so little to say. I do feel he looks on the bright side which is the best in the end.
     So Dr. Woodman is dead. He was the doctor at the the mill. Do you know the doctor that took his place?
     Mom, I've got stamps twice but haven't received my pen yet. I know it'll come soon. This pen writes kind of bad. It may flood any minute.
     Your letter was written Feb 2 and came Feb 19. Your V-mail was written Feb 4 and came Feb 18 so you can see how they come, of course, you can never tell about mail.
     Guess my pen writes good by the letter you started with it. I can see it's a real fine point. The other pen you finished with looks as if you were using a paint brush.
     So Bull Frog is married Ha ha that class of mine is about all gone. Say hello to him if you ever see him. 
     So the old sun is moving up toward the hemlock which means longer days. It will soon jump over that rim in the tree line where the pines grow tall all at once, can you see where I mean?
     Gee, I didn't know Mr. Duby was dead.
      Yes, Dan is still here but you should see him now. He said about himself, "I once was fat but can't keep up with my clothes now." Ha ha but he sure has changed.
     Mother, I received the letter with the poem in it. I was on a march and when we stopped to rest I took the envelope from my pocket, opened it and read it. I can't say a thing but I'm going to copy it on the back of that picture of you, Dad, and I. I also read the clipping which was very good. Ha ha how about that Boy Scout clipping you sent.
     Gee, I'm glad Dad got his wood sawed up as it's no fun sawing wood by hand.
     I wish you would do something for me when you see or talk to Helen. Ask her about my watch, find out the cost of repairs and get it. I'll send her or either you the money. You keep it until I get home. Has Helen been up to see you? I'll make a guess no, maybe she has surprised you as she said over the telephone.
     Well, Mom, it's very near chow time so will be on the go soon. Had the day off but it's not very warm in here which makes it no fun to write. Only wish I could eat a meal at your table.
     Well, Mom, I sent you a letter telling you the kind of a knife I'd like but know you can't get it. Still wouldn't mind having one. Will sign off for now with lots of love from your son.
                                                          Love to All
                                                             Charles






107 days before storming the beaches 
of Omaha on D Day +1 for Uncle Charlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment